Search This Blog

Wednesday, December 28, 2016

"Feeling Funky"

There was no way else to describe it.
I was in a 'funk'
I felt discouraged, distracted and just plain funky!!

It was the week between Christmas and the New Year.
And I decided it was to time to get it done!!
So, as I sat at our office desk, I was cleaning out one of the drawers.
Again....Didn't I just do this??

It was cluttered with everything from lose receipts to randomly saved business cards to hair scrunchies and band-aids.

I could have been crowned the Queen of Funk, complete with attitude by the time I finished.

I would love to say that, I came across something that illuminated my world!!
That little something that changed my perspective.
But I didn't.
After the desk drawer, I then cleaned out two more junk drawers in the kitchen.

It 'felt' good to have it done.
And yet truly overwhelming to know there were lots of hidden places in our home, yet to clean.
That's when it hit me, there will always be something to get done.
Always.

Slowly, a story began to surface. I had heard it before. But this time it was ringing out a truth right in the middle of my funk.

It is a true story as accounted in the New Testament, where two sister's spent time with Jesus in the one sister's home.

Luke 10:38-42
As Jesus and his disciples were on their way, he came to a village where a woman named Martha opened her home to him. She had a sister called Mary, who sat at the Lord’s feet listening to what he said. But Martha was distracted by all the preparations that had to be made. She came to him and asked, “Lord, don’t you care that my sister has left me to do the work by myself? Tell her to help me!”
"Martha, Martha,” the Lord answered, “you are worried and upset about many things, but few things are needed—or indeed only one. Mary has chosen what is better, and it will not be taken away from her.”

I have a sneaking suspicion that Mary had workedherself
into a pretty good funk.

Sometimes, feeling funky, doesn't allow you to see past the 'to do', to the 'to be'.
Instead of worrying over what needs done it is often better to simply 'be'.

Jesus didn't chastise Martha, He acknowledged her and simply reminded her that Mary had chosen the 'better'.

So, let's follow His example then..if the Holiday's are bringing out the funk in you, don't beat yourself up.
Choose the better of the two.
Our feelings come and go,
junk drawers fill and are then sorted.

The funk we sometimes feel can be sorted through too.

First, invite Jesus into your home, your office, your marriage, your singleness or wherever you find yourself.

And then choose Him.
Choose the quiet.
Choose to listen.
There is a time and a place for all things.
When you choose Him first, the rest falls into place.

That funky junk will get cleaned out for good, in more ways than one; but only when we let today 
be His day...first.

Thinking:
1. Do you tend to be a Mary or a Martha?
It doesn't matter, if you are a male or female; anyone can fall on either side of these behaviors.

2. Name what distracts you? 
These can be tangible (for instance, kids, schedules, work, cleaning) or intangible (attitude, fears, worries)

3. Commit to stop 'doing' and start 'being'. 

Pinpoint a time in your day to get alone with Him.
Remember, time spent with Him, creates more time later.
We all have hidden areas that need cleansed. 
Don't compare yourself to others.
Spend time with Him first, and He will bring clarity to you and to your every day.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please take a moment to tell me how you are, I would love to hear from you.