Search This Blog

Thursday, January 5, 2017

"Travel Lightly"

As a flight attendant, I see it all the time; people ladled down with luggage.
Tripping over themselves as they struggle, trying to make it to their final destination.

Sadly, I should know better, but I have found myself in the same place, 
hoisting my 'stuff', 
my 'treasures', 
my 'necessities'!!! 
down the narrow aisle.

There is much in life that tells us what we "need" in order to get by. Sometimes it's the physical belongings we think we must have.
Sometimes it's a carefully guarded heart that says, I will never trust again.
Either way, we are living a bit burdened.
We know it, but then what?
Ask yourself.

What good is 'knowing' if I  never cross over to the threshold of 'doing'?

The Holy Scriptures, which I hold as my litmus for truth is ever so clear. And I recall these words of 'doing'.

"He has shown you oh mortal, what is good. 
And what does the Lord require of you?  
to act justly, 
and to love mercy 
and to walk humbly with your God."
Micah 6:8

We are also reminded in the book of Matthew that the lilies of the field are clothed in splendor.
(not a care in the world)

Then, I remember Jesus, with the weight of the world, pitched on His shoulders, 
Never once was it a burden for Him.
He, who traveled ever so lightly had no place to lay His head.
He certainly didn't need a closet filled with tunics and mismatched sandals kicked about.
He, Who was put down upon at every turn had every reason to lash out or to live guarded. Instead, He chose a beautiful life of continual mercy and forgiveness.
He lived simply and with a piercing mission.
Perfectly balanced.
And, He carried forward this mission with grace and dignity, fully aware that in the end His EVERY need would be met.

So, tell me. What are you holding that fills your mind?

Is it physical?
Can some of it be lightened?
(Think..unworn clothing, endless amounts of dishes, a crowded garage?
Whatever His Spirit brings to mind, let Him clean it out and truly be willing to give it up!!)

"Cast all your anxiety on him because he cares for you."
1 Peter 5:7

And of course, in order to truly live in the moment we must go deeper.
Is it spiritual?
(Think grudges, gossip, and an unforgiving heart. 
Again, whatever His Spirit brings to mind, let Him clean it out and truly be willing to give it up.)

You cast, He takes.

When you finally choose to travel light, you will then find time in your life for His gentle leading.
And Like Jesus; you will stay true to your mission. 
Again, remember;
What is the good of knowing if we never cross over to the threshold of doing.

Go back to Micah 6:8

What was it that He required of you?
Write it out.

Then decide what needs to go and travel on...lightly.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Please take a moment to tell me how you are, I would love to hear from you.